Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Like a lot of other users, I have winfax 10.3 on a win98 host. I’ve just added two new client machines (xppro sp2) and am having the same type of issues as many others.. however after reading a number of threads, I’m must admit that I’ve not got anything concrete in terms of a resolution.. I guess I have to ask, is winfax host server and xp sp2 going to work or do I just start looking for another package.

Thanks

Anonymous

Should have the same version on all machines. (10.0, 10.01 , 10.02 or 10.03 installed (not 10.04)

CONFIGURATION:
    Win 98 HOST
    Win XP SP2 Client(s)

Reconfiguring Windows XP security settings

To enable Fax Sharing, perform the following steps at the client (Win XP SP2) computer(s). Do all of the sections in the order given.

Section 1: To ensure that the Windows Firewall is enabled
    At the client computer, log on as a user with Administrative privileges.
    From the Start menu, click Settings > Control Panel.
    If using the Classic View, double-click Windows Firewall. Otherwise, click Security Center and then, in the “Manage security settings for:” section, click Windows Firewall.
    Select On (recommended).

Section 2: To add the WinFax Controller program to the Windows Firewall Exceptions list.
    On the Exceptions tab, click Add Program.
    Select Controller. The “Path:” box displays a path that ends in Wfxctl32.exe.
    If the host and client are on the same network (subnet), click Change scope and select My network (subnet) only.
    Click OK, and then click OK again.
    In the Programs and Services list, ensure that the box next to Controller is selected.
    Click OK, and close the Windows Control Panel.

Section 3: To enable Remote Administration traffic through the Firewall by enabling RPC and DCOM
    From the Start menu, select All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.
    Type netsh
    Type firewall
    If the host and client are on the same subnet, type:
    set service REMOTEADMIN ENABLE SUBNET

otherwise, type:
    set service REMOTEADMIN ENABLE ALL

Type show service and verify that Remote Administration is enabled.
    Type exit and then type exit again.

Section 4: To enable machine wide, remote access to COM for Anonymous Logon users
    From the Start menu, click Settings > Control Panel.
    If using the Classic View, double-click Administrative Tools. Otherwise, click Performance and Maintenance, and then double-click Administrative Tools.
    Double-click Component Services.
    From the Console Root, open Component Services > Computers > My Computer.
    If you see a Security Alert dialog box, click Unblock.
    Right-click My Computer, and click Properties.
    In the My Computer Properties dialog box, on the COM Security tab, in the Access Permissions group, click Edit Limits.
    In the Access Permission dialog box, choose ANONYMOUS LOGON, and select Allow on the Remote Access entry.
    Click OK, and then click OK again.
    Close the Component Services window and the Administrative Tools window.

Apply the changes
    Restart the computer.

did that.. no luck.. removed winfax and reinstalled again and upon completion of the install it actually worked.. however after a reboot.. back to square-one. so any suggestion to further the cause is appreciated.

Anonymous

@davecakebread wrote:

did that.. no luck.. removed winfax and reinstalled again and upon completion of the install it actually worked.. however after a reboot.. back to square-one. so any suggestion to further the cause is appreciated.

reboot of host or the client?

on this machine, it was the client.. so having been close before, I uninstalled winfax again.. rebooted the client and then reinstalled winfax.. this time it connected as it should and after the second and third reboots, almost all seems fine.. One strange thing has now happened.. on the first re-install and things appeared OK, the active phone book was linked and available for use.. after the second re-install and the mutliple reboots, the connection continued to work so the exercise of linking the active phonebook as attempted.. it appears to accept all until I click on Finish.. oops.. sorry that phone book is already linked and it will not allow me to re-link it. There must be a control file/entry somewhere that is stopping this from happening.. please give some direction on resolving this one. Once this is working well, I can replicate the process on my second XP machine.. Thanks in advance.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.