Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Elliot

Dear Sir or Madam,
    I have been a WinFax user for many years. My Winfax worked fine this morning and suddenly stopped working. My send log is only 75% full. I can’t also send a fax from my Epson fax software. It is saying that there is a communication error. I am a premium subscriber and “Compatibility Check” says it fixed any errors. I will try rebooting but have already done a reboot and a full exit. Should I try a system restore to a previous set point? Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help,
    ~ Elliot

Administrator
    Keymaster

Can you provide more details? Can you open WinFax? Is the problem sending the fax or preparing the fax?

Elliot

Dear Moderator,
    WinFax opens up and then hangs up. I have already used WinFax Tools to rebuild the logs.

Here are the stats when I check limits:
    Your default send log folder is 76% full.
    Your default receive log folder is 10% full.

WARNING: Your send log folder is 76% full.
    You should consider moving faxes or deleting older faxes.

Received Fax (*.FXR files) slots available (Maximum of 10,000) : 8909
    Send Fax slots (.FXD Files) available (Maximum of 10,000) : 2399

Cover Page Text files (*.CVR files) total count is : 1485

I would clean up my send log if I could get into it.

Thanks for your help,
    ~ Elliot

Elliot

One other diagnostic fact. My feature to print a document through my Epson printer/fax also is not working. It is telling me that there is a communication error. That did not cause the WinFax problem. I only tried to use because WinFax is down. The printer/fax is printing fine and faxing out paper documents just fine.

Thanks,
    ~ Elliot

Administrator
    Keymaster

@Elliot wrote:

Dear Moderator,
    WinFax opens up and then hangs up. I have already used WinFax Tools to rebuild the logs.

Here are the stats when I check limits:
    Your default send log folder is 76% full.

WARNING: Your send log folder is 76% full.
    You should consider moving faxes or deleting older faxes.

Received Fax (*.FXR files) slots available (Maximum of 10,000) : 8909
    Send Fax slots (.FXD Files) available (Maximum of 10,000) : 2399

Cover Page Text files (*.CVR files) total count is : 1485

I would clean up my send log if I could get into it.

Thanks for your help,
    ~ Elliot

72% usage of the send log could be the problem, but before that can be fixed you should do these steps first:

Click on “Set Default Fax View” button in WinFax Tools . This will set WinFax to the default info view settings. Sometimes if you receive a corrupt fax and have WinFax set to automatically display the image, it can crash — preventing you from opening WinFax PRO. This button will switch the view back to Info only, so you can open WinFax. If this allows you to open WinFax, then it is likely that you have a bad/corrupt fax in your send, receive log or outbox. You need to determine which one it is and delete/remove it, and it was probably the last fax you received, opened or sent.

If this does not solve the problem, then the next step is to make sure you apply the “Move/Copy Logs Disk Space Error” patch by clicking this button found in the “Logs & Phonebooks” area of WinFax Tools.

Also, make sure that the “WinFax Service” is disabled. Do this by clicking the WinFax Service Options button and click the “Disable” button. You can also disable the Windows Fax Service, if that is active.

Now click “WinFax Info” , then click “Yes” to show more information. Copy and paste that information to your next reply.

Administrator
    Keymaster

@Elliot wrote:

One other diagnostic fact. My feature to print a document through my Epson printer/fax also is not working. It is telling me that there is a communication error. That did not cause the WinFax problem. I only tried to use because WinFax is down. The printer/fax is printing fine and faxing out paper documents just fine.

Thanks,
    ~ Elliot

Not familiar with the Epson, but I would guess the error is not related to WinFax .

Elliot

Dear Moderator,

Thanks for your attempts to help. I executed the steps you suggested and WinFax. It id loading but getting hung up there. Here are the stats you requested:

WinFax About.Cfg Version : 10.02
    WinFax About.Cfg Display Version : 10.02
    WinFax registry version reported : 10.02

Program Path : C:Program FilesWinFax
    Data/Fax default Path : C:Program FilesWinFaxData
    Cover Pages Path : C:Program FilesWinFaxCover

Base Operating System : XP
    Logged in as Administrator account : True

Wfxmnt40.dll: 9/10/2001 3:03:51 PM Size: 135680
    Wfxmnthq.dll: 9/10/2001 3:03:51 PM Size: 136192
    Wfxsnt40.exe: 9/10/2001 3:03:55 PM Size: 45568

ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:Documents and SettingsAll Users
    APPDATA=C:Documents and SettingsElliotApplication Data
    asl.log=Destination=file
    CLASSPATH=.;C:Program FilesJavajre6libextQTJava.zip
    CLIENTNAME=Console
    CommonProgramFiles=C:Program FilesCommon Files
    COMPUTERNAME=OFFICE
    ComSpec=C:WINDOWSsystem32cmd.exe
    FP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NO
    HOMEDRIVE=C:
    HOMEPATH=Documents and SettingsElliot
    LOGONSERVER=\OFFICE
    MOZ_CRASHREPORTER_DATA_DIRECTORY=C:Documents and SettingsElliotApplication DataMozillaFirefoxCrash Reports
    MOZ_CRASHREPORTER_RESTART_ARG_0=C:Program FilesMozilla Firefoxfirefox.exe
    MOZ_CRASHREPORTER_STRINGS_OVERRIDE=C:Program FilesMozilla Firefoxbrowsercrashreporter-override.ini
    NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=1
    OS=Windows_NT
    Path=C:Program FilesMozilla Firefox;C:WINDOWSsystem32;C:WINDOWS;C:WINDOWSSystem32Wbem;C:Program FilesCommon FilesRoxio SharedDLLShared;C:Program FilesCommon FilesDivX Shared;C:Program FilesCommon FilesHPDigital Imaging\bin;C:Program FilesQuickTimeQTSystem;C:WINDOWSsystem32WindowsPowerShellv1.0
    PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.PSC1
    PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
    PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1, GenuineIntel
    PROCESSOR_LEVEL=15
    PROCESSOR_REVISION=0401
    ProgramFiles=C:Program Files
    QTJAVA=C:Program FilesJavajre6libextQTJava.zip
    RoxioCentral=C:Program FilesCommon FilesRoxio Shared9.0Roxio Central33
    SESSIONNAME=Console
    SystemDrive=C:
    SystemRoot=C:WINDOWS
    TEMP=C:DOCUME~1ElliotLOCALS~1Temp
    TMP=C:DOCUME~1ElliotLOCALS~1Temp
    USERDOMAIN=OFFICE
    USERNAME=Elliot
    USERPROFILE=C:Documents and SettingsElliot
    windir=C:WINDOWS

I can really use your help to get WinFax going again. It is a VERY important part of our daily operation.

Thanks,
    ~ Elliot

Administrator
    Keymaster

This is the process we use to repair this problem. It is a tedious and manual process, it will allow you to open WinFax PRO and clean up your send log. if you don’t care much of the faxes or data you can skip the back up copy of the WinFax folder.

Step 1 – close WinFax processes and make a backup copy of the WinFax folder.

As a precaution , you should first make a backup of your c:program fileswinfax folder. To do this. you should first close/shut down all active WinFax processes, this can be done by clicking “End all WinFax Tasks” in WinFax Tools. The WinFax Tools window will show active WinFax processes when you press “refresh” (some possible WinFax active processes include: wfxmod32.exe, wfxsvc.exe, wfxctl32.exe, faxmng32.exe, wfxsnt40.exe, and wfxswtch.exe ) . wfxsnt40.exe is optional, it can be left active and running.

Once the WinFax processes are shut down (only wfxsnt40.exe of the 6 WinFax processes can be active, everything else should be closed) , Copy the “Program FilesWinFax” folder using Windows Explorer. DO NOT MOVE the folder, only copy it to another location. This may take a while as you’ll have at least 10,000 individual files to copy from the Program FilesWinFaxData folder.
    Leave WinFax Tools open, as you will need this later.

Step 2 – Open the Program FilesWinFaxData folder in Windows Explorer and search for “FXD” files.
    You need to open the folder where your WinFax Data is located using Windows Explorer. This is in “C:Program FilesWinFaxData”
    In this folder you’ll have thousands of files, you should sort the files as follows: By Type and By Date. Take note of the “FXD” files and their dates, these are the only files you should be concerned about.

Step 3 – Create a new temporary folder to store older “FXD” files.
    Create a new folder somewhere on your hard drive so you can store(move) these older “FXD” files. This is a temporary storage location, as you’ll need move these files back to the Program FilesWinFaxData folder.
    You can name the folder “FXD Files”

Step 4 – Move (not copy) the older FXD files from (Step 2) to the folder you created in (Step 3.). Repeat this step for as many older FXD files you can. Move only FXD files. You probably want to start from the oldest FXD files and work from there. You’ll notice that FXD files contain a series of numbers along with FXD extension name. For example. 0033001.FXD, 0033002.FXD, 0033003.FXD, 0033004.FXD … The last 3 numbers are the page number (001, 002, 003, 004) so this is a 4 page fax. So you should move them in set groups, and a few hundred or so at a time. The goal here is that you need to move enough FXD files out of the “C:Program FIlesWinFaxData” folder into this new temporary folder you created. Once you’ve moved enough (you probably have to move at least 2000-3000 of them)
    Do a check using WinFax Tools (Check Send/Rec Limits) from Logs & Phonebooks button. Once your send logs shows 50% or less usage you can STOP moving the FXD files.

Step 5 – You now have to close down any open Windows explorer windows, this is important that no WinFax folders are open. Now use WinFax Tools ONLY to start WinFax again. Click the “Start Controller” button and wait for the controller to appear in the taskbar. Then click on “Start Fax Manager” to start the WinFax Fax Manager. WinFax Fax Messanger should now open, and your send log should now be visible. You should be able to use WinFax normally now .

Step 6 – The next step requires you to MOVE the “FXD” files that you copied into your temporary storage location back into the “C:Program FilesWinFaxData” folder. You have to do this while WinFax is open and active.

Step 7 – Now you can start deleting faxes that are no longer required from your WinFax Send Log. You’ll have to manually go through the faxes from the send log from within WinFax to do this. Only do this after you moved all the FXD files back to the C:Program FilesWinFaxData” folder. Use WinFax Tools Check Send/Rec Limits to verify the percentage used. Do not close WinFax! Once you are back to 50% or less, then the problem should be resolved. IF YOU shut down WinFax PRO before deleting the appropriate amount of faxes from within WinFax you will not be able to start WinFax again, and you’ll be back to the original problem.

Elliot

Dear Moderator,

Thanks for your suggestions. I did it and it worked. Here are my new limits:

Your default send log folder is 39% full.

Received Fax (*.FXR files) slots available (Maximum of 10,000) : 8910
    Send Fax slots (.FXD Files) available (Maximum of 10,000) : 6036

Cover Page Text files (*.CVR files) total count is : 867

Do you think I’ll have any trouble backing up WinFax with these limits?

Thanks and be well,
    ~ Elliot

Administrator
    Keymaster

The Backup program that is included with WinFax PRO? If you use that, don’t rely on it as your sole backup method for WinFax PRO. It is unreliable when dealing with large volume of files, and sometimes can fail to do a complete backup. In addition to using WinFax Backup, you should always backup the entire “C:Program FilesWinFax” and sub folders manually or by using an automated software backup tool.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.