Fax Software

Community Forums

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  carpentj 16 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #2514

    carpentj
    Member

    I am using WinFaxPro 10.02 in a client/host arrangement, with the client running on Win2k server and the host running on Win2k workstation. I wrote a VB6 application based upon the WinFaxSDK to attach (AddAttachmentFile) a small text file to a SDKSend object, then Convert a map .BMP to a .fxr using the SDKFXConverter, and then attach (AddAttachmentFile) this file to the fax. The problem I have is that it gets hung up on the “…converting text file to …” message box. The problem only occurs when I run the client on the Win2k Server (as a client). When I run this on my Win2k Desktop (as a client), it works just fine. I have looked at the permissions on the server, and I can not come up with anything that seems to help. My debug code shows that all the object method calls are returning non-error values. This is driving me nuts. I can see that both the .fxr and .txt files are created ok. I don’t see any obvious differences with the relavant DLL files on the workstaton vs the server.

    Is there some “Gotcha” that is a common error here? I have seen some other posts talking about not killing the send object too soon, although the method wait on this has not been consistent. Is there some quirk with the text file I am attaching to the fax (Which mostly several lines of text).

    I eventually want to convert this code to a DLL so I can invoke it from an ASP script off of the web server (thus the reason I am testing it on the server). The error first appeared in my DLL version, so I can up with a test driver to more easily debug it.

    Any direction would be appreciated before I give up on this and try to work out a totally different approach.

    Thanks,
    Jim

    #4230

    carpentj
    Member

    What I did find out is that WinFax printer printer must be installed to do an automatic coversion from text to fax for the SDK. The BMP I am working with I do a specific convert using the SDK, and there is no problem there. The WinFax software uses the assigned application (notepad for .txt file) to print to the winfax printer, and then captures the output behind the scenes.

    So the problem is that the WinFax printers disappear after a reboot on Win2k Server, and this seems to be a known problem to Symatec. Any “Server friendly” suggestions would be apprectiated.

    Thanks,
    Jim

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.