Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    rtchong

I have installed winfaxpro 10.04 as per instructions of symantec, but when I try to connect to the host computer (p2p setup) I receive the following message:

setup cannot connect to winfax pro on server (Reason: Access denied). Check that this the correct name.

I can ping the host, by name or ip.

What is wrong.

Thanks,

Ronald

Anonymous

are all clients also patched to version 10.04
    what operating system on each machine?

rtchong

@Moderator wrote:

Yes

windows xp sp2.

I had used 10.2 before with the instructions to patch that version after installing sp2 prior to the release of 10.04

Anonymous

Yes

windows xp sp2.

I had used 10.2 before with the instructions to patch that version after installing sp2 prior to the release of 10.04

when you click on Help, About on the client and the host, do they indicate version 10.04?
    and what happens when you configure WinFax to connect using the IP address instead of the computer name “server”

have you also tried double-clicking WTNSETUP.EXE from the WinFax directory on the host first, and then client(s) to reconfigure the Fax Sharing?

Edited By JohnD on June 27 2005 at 21:56

JohnD
    Participant

@rtchong wrote:

@Moderator wrote:

Yes

windows xp sp2.

Symantec claims that you should NOT update to 10.04 if you have 10.02. You need version 10.03 to update to 10.04, if you applied WinFax PRO 10.04 on top of 10.02, you might have a problem. The install doesn’t check what version you are running, it will install on top of any version of WinFax (a no-no)

rtchong

@JohnD wrote:

Symantec claims that you should NOT update to 10.04 if you have 10.02. You need version 10.03 to update to 10.04, if you applied WinFax PRO 10.04 on top of 10.02, you might have a problem. The install doesn’t check what version you are running, it will install on top of any version of WinFax (a no-no)

I have noted that when you install 10.02, LiveUpdate will take you to 10.03 and then you get a message telling you that 10.04 is available.

Should I uninstall and reinstall winfaxpro again?

Ronald

JohnD
    Participant

@rtchong wrote:

@JohnD wrote:

I have noted that when you install 10.02, LiveUpdate will take you to 10.03 and then you get a message telling you that 10.04 is available.

Ronald

If LiveUpdate installed 10.03, then everything should be OK.

What is the IP of the Host and the IP of the client machine(s)?

can you run the WFXPING.exe program in the WinFax directory and ping the Host with that?

rtchong

@JohnD wrote:

@rtchong wrote:

@JohnD wrote:

Ronald

If LiveUpdate installed 10.03, then everything should be OK.

What is the IP of the Host and the IP of the client machine(s)?

can you run the WFXPING.exe program in the WinFax directory and ping the Host with that?

Wfxping works. The host ip is 10.0.0.20, subnetmask 255.255.255.0. All clients are connected to an adsl router modem with dhcp enabled.

Anonymous

If you dealing with a number of clients, to make things simple you should only deal with two machines at a time. (one Host and one client)

I would recommend configuring the Host machine with a static IP.

If your Router defaults to 10.0.0.x subnet, then you should make the Host machine static IP 10.0.0.2. All the other machines should then be 10.0.0.3, 10.0.0.4 , 10.0.0.5 as so on. I’ve had better results using the 192.168.0.x subnet, since most routers I’ve dealt with use this as the default subnet for DHCP.

Once you’ve done that, confirm that you can communicate with each machine (wfxping) then run WTNSETUP.EXE on the client. When prompted to select the Host, instead of clicking the machine name, enter 10.0.0.1 (or whatever the Host IP is)
    Make sure that host machine is configured with a static IP, so that IP address will never change.

Remember for the test to turn off the Windows XP SP2 firewall.

Also, when you configure the client machines. Do you get that “access denied” message during the setup of the client/host, or when you try to connect when you start the Controller?

Edited By Moderator on June 29 2005 at 21:55

rtchong

@Moderator wrote:

……
    Also, when you configure the client machines. Do you get that “access denied” message during the setup of the client/host, or when you try to connect when you start the Controller?

When I try to connect starting the Controller.

Anonymous

@rtchong wrote:

@Moderator wrote:

……

When you installed 10.04 and you start WinFax with Fax Host sharing it should have presented a dialog box requesting if you wanted to add WinFax to the Firewall exception list. Did you click Yes to this message?

Edited By Moderator on July 01 2005 at 11:58

rtchong

@Moderator wrote:

@rtchong wrote:

@Moderator wrote:

……

When you installed 10.04 and you start WinFax with Fax Host sharing it should have presented a dialog box requesting if you wanted to add WinFax to the Firewall exception list. Did you click Yes to this message?

I do not recall, but the firewall exceptions page shows the winfax controller and message manager.

Administrator
    Keymaster

You can try REGACCES.EXE in the WinFax directory and see if adding permissions help… worth a try

rtchong

Before the release of 10.04, when you install 10.02 with SP2 you had to “To enable Remote Administration traffic through the Firewall by enabling RPC and DCOM” according to section 3 of http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT….1425704 as well as some other settings. When you upgraded to 10.04 you had to undo some of these changes.

My question is if you install 10.02, update to 10.03 and then 10.04 you still have to “To enable Remote Administration traffic through the Firewall by enabling RPC and DCOM” as well as the other instructions that have not been reversed in the instructions to install the winfax pro 10.04 update (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/faxprod.nsf/docid/2004113014595304?Open&src=&docid=2004071911425704&nsf=faxprod.nsf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=)?

Could that explain the access denied. I have a simple p2p home network where on all the clients the administrator has the same password, an extra user for winfax pro has been created, while I am myself a user on all machines.

It bugs me that Winfax Pro is so difficult to install.

Anonymous

@rtchong wrote:

Before the release of 10.04, when you install 10.02 with SP2 you had to “To enable Remote Administration traffic through the Firewall by enabling RPC and DCOM” according to section 3 of http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT….1425704 as well as some other settings. When you upgraded to 10.04 you had to undo some of these changes.

My question is if you install 10.02, update to 10.03 and then 10.04 you still have to “To enable Remote Administration traffic through the Firewall by enabling RPC and DCOM” as well as the other instructions that have not been reversed in the instructions to install the winfax pro 10.04 update (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/faxprod.nsf/docid/2004113014595304?Open&src=&docid=2004071911425704&nsf=faxprod.nsf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=)?

Could that explain the access denied. I have a simple p2p home network where on all the clients the administrator has the same password, an extra user for winfax pro has been created, while I am myself a user on all machines.

It bugs me that Winfax Pro is so difficult to install.

No, you do not perform the steps “To enable Remote Administration traffic through the Firewall by enabling RPC and DCOM” if you are updating to v10.04

Update only to 10.04 if you are using a non-mixed network, that is, all your machines on the network (that will be using WinFax Host/Clients) are Windows NT based machines (Windows NT, 2000, or XP)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.