Welcome to the only dedicated community forum for WinFax PRO fax software users around the world.

With a premium subscription you have access to community forums and downloads of many WinFax related files and updates. A premium subscription includes exclusive usage of our custom designed WinFax Tools software utility. With help from WinFax Tools you can diagnose and repair many common WinFax PRO problems and continue using discontinued WinFax PRO with Microsoft Windows XP (up to Service Pack 3), Windows 2003 or Windows 2000.

Click Here to Download the WinFax Tools utility.
WinFax Tools can automatically repair and optimize WinFax PRO for Windows XP, Windows 2003 and Windows 2000. To unlock all the features of WinFax Tools and to subscribe for access to all the community forums here, click the link below:

If you are a current WinFax Tools/WinFax Forums subscriber and would like to cancel the recurring billing and unsubscribe to the subscription service click the Unsubscribe button below. You will be forwarded away from our site to a secure PayPal login screen. By cancelling recurring billing you will continue to have access to the service until your subscription expiry date.

As of SEPT 1st 2017 WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING NEW MEMBERS TO THIS SITE UNLESS YOU HAVE AN ACTIVE PAID SUBSCRIPTION. STARTING MARCH 1ST, 2018, TECHNICIANS WILL NO LONGER MONITOR THIS SITE OR PROVIDE ANSWERS TO SUPPORT REQUESTS. WINFAX TOOLS WILL CONTINUE TO OPERATE AND ACCESS TO ALL FORUM MESSAGES WILL CONTINUE TO BE AVAILABLE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. Have questions or concerns about your subscription? Contact us at GetFaxing.com

unable to set up sharing - sharing setup problem

Post any WinFax fax software related questions in this forum.

This forum is open for viewing by all guests, but to create a new post or to reply to any existing message, you must be a registered member. Joining is free, click the "Register" link at the top of the page.

Subscribe to our Premium Support Forums and get access to all our WinFax related forums and support downloads including WinFax repair Tools.

Postby vtrasikis » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:44 pm

I am trying to setup winfax pro 10.02 on a new computer and everytime that I try to setup sharing, it gives me an error of:

Setup cannot connect to the WinFax Pro on Home (Reason: The RPC server is unavailable). Check that this is the correct host name.

When I do select the host, it does come back and state that host found, but then it tries to connect and gets that error. I have 1 notebook that is setup the same way and it has NO problems connected and faxing.

I did follow the help file from symantec and after checking the settings between the notebook and the new desktop, I don't know what else it could be...

Any suggestions????
Virgil
vtrasikis

Subscribe to the WinFax PRO Premium Support Forums

Your premium subscription includes full access to the forums and the automated WinFax Tools support tool. This customized application is designed to repair and optimize WinFax PRO or TalkWorks PRO operating with with Windows XP, Windows 2003 or Windows 2000.

Postby Moderator » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:02 am

You didn't mention the version of WinFax on the client (and Host) and the operating system and service pack level on the client?

If you have no problems connecting to the Host from another PC, then the problem is with the client, not the Host.

On the client, make sure you've added wfxctl32.exe in your exception rules if using any firewall. I'd disable firewall as a start to see if that is the problem. Some anti-virus software also have features that can block communications, so check that as well.
Site Admin

Postby vtrasikis » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:12 pm

both have version 10.02 installed. running win-xp with sp3 on both. I did update windows firewall to have the controller in the exception list, as is on the host. I tried the disable on the client and still it doesn't work. Funny how when you set it up, it finds the host but when it tries to talk to it, it doesn't work. I have basically set up the new computer the same way that the notebook is. Why is it getting the rpc error???
Virgil
vtrasikis

Postby JohnD » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:40 pm

the initial "connection" is just a test via PING to the IP address of your host, like PING myhost.com or PING 192.168.1.10. The real connection is where information is transmitted between the two computers is using DCOM.

Section 4 of the Symantec document is what I believe you need to do on the client PC.

If that doesn't work for you then I'd suggest contacting the Live Support, they can troubleshoot for $39.99 for 1 PC if your Host is already setup properly.
JohnD
Site Admin

Postby vtrasikis » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:07 pm

I have already done that... just trying to avoid having to pay symantec for anything!
Virgil
vtrasikis

Postby JohnD » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:42 pm

Symantec doesn't provide any support (free or fee based) for WinFax PRO anymore. I was suggesting getfaxing.com live service.

it may be dcom related problem. Check your event viewer logs for dcom errors on the client.
JohnD
Site Admin

Return to WinFax Fax Software Community Forum