Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    atch

Winfax 10.02. XP SP2. (version 5.1)
    Old user, new problem for ‘backup unsuccessful’. ‘Do you want to check the logs?’. I select yes. It lists a bunch of cvr files then:

<> Did not commit changes to the above store.

The last cvr file listed is
    c:progra~1winfaxdata8010000.cvr
    I cannot find this file.

Also have a problem with re-submit not working & will post it appropriately. We run a business & can’t afford to lose data (who can, I know). Winfax is our life-line.

Thanks for any help!! Atch

atch

@atch wrote:

Winfax PRO 10.02. XP SP2. (version 5.1)
    Old user, new problem for ‘backup unsuccessful’. ‘Do you want to check the logs?’. I select yes. It lists a bunch of cvr files then:

<> Did not commit changes to the above store.

The last cvr file listed is
    c:progra~1winfaxdata8010000.cvr
    I cannot find this file.

Also have a problem with re-submit not working & will post it appropriately. We run a business & can’t afford to lose data (who can, I know). Winfax is our life-line.

Thanks for any help!! Atch

Just needed to add that it is Winfax PRO 10.02 XP SP2.

Administrator
    Keymaster

i’m reposting my answer from your other posting of problems re-submitting. It appears the error is related to your data files, specific to cover page text.

what is the size of your DATA Directory? How many faxes are your send/receive logs? How many files are in the DATA directory?

It may be data corruption, or possible log structure errors.

Before you attempt anything, I would suggest you manually backup the entire WinFax folder, “c:program fileswinfax” or “c:program filessymantecwinfax’ is usually the default install folder depending on the installation.

Copy the entire directory (not move) to another backup folder, such as “WinFax Backup” , so you have a mirror image of the WinFax directory somewhere else. This won’t solve the problem, but will at least give you a backup before possible data loss.

I suggest you do this while WinFax and the Controller is shut down.

atch

The data directory itself is over 5500 objects. The log directly is empty. In the Winfax prgram, there are 134 faxes in the receive log & 1234 in the send log.

Directory is copied as per your instructions. Ready for more info.

Administrator
    Keymaster

from what you are describing, it appears that your send/receive logs point to files that no longer exist.

Do you organize your faxes in different message stores, or use the default message store? When the default message store gets to large, it can cause problems and may be what you are experiencing here.

Message Manager stores faxes in a collection of folders (Send Log, Receive Log, and Outbox) in the Logs window. These folders are part of the Messages message store. A message store works like a filing cabinet with drawers that hold different types of files.

Faxes in the Messages message store are uncompressed; the Messages message store is therefore more suitable for short-term message storage or for storing a smaller number of messages. If you want to keep your messages for long-term use or you receive large numbers of messages, you can set up your own message filing system with custom message stores and subfolders. For example, you might want to organize correspondence by customer and your sales reports by quarter.
    Depending on your needs, custom message stores can be compressed or uncompressed. As you accumulate messages in the Messages message store, your WinFax/TalkWorks data requires more disk space. To minimize the amount of disk space required, you can create archives by enabling compression when you create your message stores. When you move a message to an archive, Message Manager automatically compresses it.

Message Manager also supports sharing of message stores. To share a message store, simply locate it on a network drive that is accessible to those you want to share it with. Other WinFax/TalkWorks users can access it by creating a new message store in their Logs window that points to the existing message store you placed on the network. If desired, you can make the message store read-only so that it cannot be modified by other users.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.