Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hello All!
    I recently switched from Dial Up to a DSL phone line number. How do I configure WinFax Pro 8.02 to connect using this DSL Line ? The DSL connection uses a 2Wire external modem. I had no problem before connecting with this Win. 98 PC with an internal Dial Up modem connection. TIA!
    Bill

Anonymous

To send faxes with your phone line (a regular line, or even a DSL type line) you will still need a regular dial-up “fax” modem. The new modem you received when you subscribed for the DSL service will not work with WinFax. If you no longer have your old dial-up fax/modem installed on your PC, you will not be able to send faxes with WinFax PRO 8.0x

Anonymous

Thanks for your help. Is there a Fax Program that works with a DSL modem? My DSL modem connects via an USB port or Ethernet port.

I still have my Dial Up modem installed, so I’ll try by connecting it via my PC phone jack to another phone wall jack.

WCD

Anonymous

no, there are no fax programs designed for DSL because DSL modems do not have the ability to “dial out”, therefore, they cannot actually connect to a fax machine.

In addition, they do not have the circuitry to send a fax even if they could dial out! This is why regular dial-up modems are still being sold today, they are many uses for these devices still — when upgrading to DSL it is recommended to keep your existing dial-up (also called Analog) modem.

There is a method to send faxes via the internet using your DSL modem, but this is not the same, you have to pay for this service. You can also check out http://www.efax.com for their fax services

Anonymous

After reconnecting dial up fax on my Win 98 PC, I’m again able to send faxes just fine, but can’t receive. I get ” Voice interpreter prompt required” error message.

I installed same WinFax 8.02 on my Win ME Laptop, it works perfectly.

Fax source is the same; also both WinFax installations were done w/o installing “Talkworks”.

I’ve compared WinFax setups, which are virtually the same for both machines as near as I can determine. Any solutions for my Win 98 PC. It used to also work perfectly. Tia!
    WCD

Anonymous

1. Click on TalkWorks then Setup. The TalkWorks Properties dialog box appears.
    2. Choose Fax Only as the Active profile and click OK.

By the way, WinFax PRO 8.02 is not Yk2 compliant. There is a bug if you send a fax and it does not go through, it will not redial the fax until the next day. Some people never notice this, but if you send a lot of faxes you will. This bug exists in version 8.0 and 9.0 (up to 9.02) and will not be fixed.

Edited By Moderator on June 12 2003 at 14:37

Anonymous

When I choose “setup” under Talkworks, nothing happens. Nor do any of the other options respond (such as “telephone, answering machine, audio editor and memo”) under the Talkworks Command. As you remember I did not install Talkworks on either machine. Do I need to install Talkworks on this machine, then choose the “fax only” option? Tia!

WCD

Anonymous

yes I would recommend you install with Talkworks, and then uninstall. You can then reinstall again without the Talkworks option. It looks like the Talkworks portion of the program is installed, but there are missing files.

Its likely you have a voice fax/modem on this machine with the problem, and not a voice modem on the other?

Edited By Moderator on June 12 2003 at 18:34

Anonymous

Many Thanks! You have solved all my WinFax problems!
    WCD

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.