Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    garysch37

WinFax PRO 10.02, Windows 2000 SP4, MDP3858-U Data Fax Modem

For years our WinFax has worked fine broadcast faxing notices for non-profits (the only change was to a different computer last spring).

Today it fails to send out any faxes, each with the truncated error message, “Cannot open the data file: incorrec”. From a Virtual Dr. forum, I think a more complete message is, “Cannot open the data file: incorrect file name or”.

My Googling indicates others have had this problem, but on receiving faxes (they never mentioned sending). My receive works okay, it’s just send. But people have done various things without success, like uninstalling & reinstalling WinFax, swapping modems, etc. (a reinstall having no effect is perhaps due to Symantec’s unconventional installer putting such deep hooks into Windows that it can’t be completely uninstalled–just a thought).

Anyway, I am willing to try uninstall/reinstall, but wanted to see if there was something easier before I do it.

(I apologize if this is the wrong forum. I see from one particular message that there may be a send/receive forum (the Moderator indicated that s/he moved that thread to that forum), but I can’t find it.)

Thanks,
    Gary Schankula
    Information Niagara

Administrator
    Keymaster

Do you keep a record of all your sent faxes in the WinFaxData directory? Its likely that you have reached a limit of fax filenames that can be generated by WinFax.

Go to your WinFaxData directory, check the contents of this folder. How many files do you have in this folder?

garysch37

Thank you for your response. My C:Program FilesWinFaxData directory only has 209 files + 2 folders in it (14 MB).

Administrator
    Keymaster

Have you tried rebuilding your send and receive logs?
    I suggest making a copy of your c:program fileswinfax folder before doing this.

garysch37

That did the trick!! You’re brilliant! Thanks very much.

Take care,
    Gary

Administrator
    Keymaster

glad that helped!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Error: Cannot open the data file – Send fax has stopped working’ is closed to new replies.