Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    thomas64

Hi experienced users,

I’m new to using Winfax (10.03/10.04) an I found reading this forum very useful.
    So I’ve installed the version 10.03 on my faxsharing host (on a Windows 2000 Server, SP4) an put 10.04 (Patch) on the Windows XP (SP2) Client machines (2). All works fine, als long as someone is logged on on the server, because there is (seems to be) no way to start the winfax-controller (found in systemtray when logged on) without Logon on the server machine.
    I find that it is typical for a server machine, that a client can use services without someone is logged on the server, just like having access to the database engine, or something like that.
    Is there a way to use faxsharing like that?

regards
    Thomas64

Anonymous

Yes you are correct. In order for Fax Sharing to work, you need to have the WinFax Controller active (wfxctl32.exe)
    The component is not active when you are logged off. So, you have to be logged in (and Controller active) to use Fax Sharing.

WinFax can still receive faxes when logged off providing you’ve turned on this option and the WinFax Service is active (if your running Windows NT/XP/2000)

The WinFax PRO NT/2000/XP service allows you to receive incoming faxes or voice messages (with TalkWorks) and schedule faxes to be sent when you are logged out of Windows NT. You do not need this service to use WinFax/TalkWorks when you are logged onto Windows .

By default, the Setup program installs the Windows service when it detects you are using Windows NT 4.0/2000/XP. This service loads automatically whenever you start Windows.

If you have power-user or administrative privileges, you can start or stop the service from the Windows Control Panel if necessary.

To use the Windows service, you must:

load the Windows service (loads automatically when you start Windows NT/2000/XP)

enable automatic reception in Message Manager or in the Controller

enable Send And Receive Faxes When Logged Off (start Program Setup and double click Call Status And Controller)

If you are using the Windows service and you want to be notified of new faxes and voice messages you receive when you are logged out, enable Notify in the Receive Properties dialog (start Program Setup, double click Receive, and then click the After Receive tab).

Edited By Moderator on 1121807312

thomas64

@Moderator wrote:

Yes you are correct. In order for Fax Sharing to work, you need to have the WinFax Controller active (wfxctl32.exe)
    The component is not active when you are logged off. So, you have to be logged in (and Controller active) to use Fax Sharing.

WinFax can still receive faxes when logged off providing you’ve turned on this option and the WinFax Service is active (if your running Windows NT/XP/2000)

The WinFax PRO NT/2000/XP service allows you to receive incoming faxes or voice messages (with TalkWorks) and schedule faxes to be sent when you are logged out of Windows NT. You do not need this service to use WinFax/TalkWorks when you are logged onto Windows .

By default, the Setup program installs the Windows service when it detects you are using Windows NT 4.0/2000/XP. This service loads automatically whenever you start Windows.

If you have power-user or administrative privileges, you can start or stop the service from the Windows Control Panel if necessary.

To use the Windows service, you must:

load the Windows service (loads automatically when you start Windows NT/2000/XP)

enable automatic reception in Message Manager or in the Controller

enable Send And Receive Faxes When Logged Off (start Program Setup and double click Call Status And Controller)

If you are using the Windows service and you want to be notified of new faxes and voice messages you receive when you are logged out, enable Notify in the Receive Properties dialog (start Program Setup, double click Receive, and then click the After Receive tab).

thanks for your quick response.
    [/quote]Yes you are correct. In order for Fax Sharing to work, you need to have the WinFax Controller active (wfxctl32.exe)

Quote:
    Isn’t it in conflict with the sense of “fax-sharing”. Even if I’m logged in on the server machine I don’t need fax-sharing, because I can use WinFax directly.
    So I’m searching for a way to use faxsharing without being logged on on the server-machine.
    I tried to load wfxctl32.exe as a service. As you know you can load every program as a service by using the W2K Server Ressource Kit (instsrv/srvany). It seems like it wouldn’t work out, as it comes up with an error-message after startup. But when I logged on and check the prozesses in TaskManager, I found the wfxctl32.exe up and running (and no icon in the systray because I removed the entry in the startup folder before). What I expect is, that the error message comes up because I start the services in the wrong sequence. Do you have any experience with that?
    Helpful would also be a list of parameters to use with wfxctl32.exe. The Controller uses “-StartupGroup” by default and I read about “-fx” in another thread. Maybe there are some more parameters to use with the controller, but nothing to be found in the programs help.
    Later I found out, that there is another program (wfxsnt40.exe) which is startet by a registry entry in the “RUN” section of HKLM/…./CurrentVersion/Run. Can you explain what this program does? Maybe I’ve to start this program also as a service and determine the sequence like that: “the original WinFaxService” >> wfxsnt40.exe >> wfxctl32.exe. This should be possible, als long as you can define dependencies on each service.

regards
    Thomas64

Anonymous

@thomas64 wrote:

Isn’t it in conflict with the sense of “fax-sharing”. Even if I’m logged in on the server machine I don’t need fax-sharing, because I can use WinFax directly.

Not sure what you mean here, yes you can use WinFax directly on any of the client machines providing you have a local modem. None of the client machines will see the WinFax Host machine, because the WinFax Controller is not active and you are not logged on.

So I’m searching for a way to use faxsharing without being logged on on the server-machine.
    I tried to load wfxctl32.exe as a service. As you know you can load every program as a service by using the W2K Server Ressource Kit (instsrv/srvany). It seems like it wouldn’t work out, as it comes up with an error-message after startup. But when I logged on and check the prozesses in TaskManager, I found the wfxctl32.exe up and running (and no icon in the systray because I removed the entry in the startup folder before). What I expect is, that the error message comes up because I start the services in the wrong sequence. Do you have any experience with that?

No, I don’t have any experience with that. Symantec’s developers created a service specifically for WinFax, its started automatically from C:WINNTsystem32WFXSVC.EXE (for Windows 2000/NT, and usually C:WINDOWS for New XP installs)
    The problem is the service isn’t enough to allow for Fax Sharing, you need the Controller. Starting the Controller as a service won’t work, its been tried before.

Helpful would also be a list of parameters to use with wfxctl32.exe. The Controller uses “-StartupGroup” by default and I read about “-fx” in another thread. Maybe there are some more parameters to use with the controller, but nothing to be found in the programs help.

I don’t have any list of parameters for wfxctl32.exe , sorry.

Later I found out, that there is another program (wfxsnt40.exe) which is startet by a registry entry in the “RUN” section of HKLM/…./CurrentVersion/Run. Can you explain what this program does? Maybe I’ve to start this program also as a service and determine the sequence like that: “the original WinFaxService” >> wfxsnt40.exe >> wfxctl32.exe. This should be possible, als long as you can define dependencies on each service.

wfxsnt40.exe is the “port starter” it just allows WinFax to communicate with the printer driver to print from any application. It is used in Windows NT based machines only.

Edited By Moderator on 1121887589

thomas64

Hi again,

Not sure what you mean here, yes you can use WinFax directly on any of the client machines providing you have a local modem. None of the client machines will see the WinFax Host machine, because the WinFax Controller is not active and you are not logged on.

sorry for my bad english. I hope I can explain what I meant.
    Typically a server provides services in a LAN. Normally there is no need to log on to use the provided services, like fileserver, printserver, database server and so on. And exactly thats what I expect from a faxsharing host. Perhaps there could be such administration software to determine, which user(s) or groups of users are allowed to use winfax. But the need that someone must be logged in (and hopefully has locked the desktop if he doesn’t work) on a server machine, looks not very professional to me. In practice: if I want to use Winfax from the notebook (WinXP) – I’ve to go to the server – log on – go back to my notebook and fax (?). Yes, I can also use the remote desktop to log in, but is this realy the way such a software should work? And in that case, I logged on (which way ever) on the server, why should I now use faxsharing when I’ve the WinFax Software right in front of me (on the server I just logged in). And on the other hand, imagine the server reboots automatically because of installing some patches (may sometimes happen ;-)). As long as nobody is logged in (sorry but I don’t want my kids logged in on the server) faxsharing isn’t available from the other machines???? Sorry but I can’t belive that.
    However, many thanks for your realy helpful answers.
    Regards
    Thomas64

Anonymous

I understand, that is how Fax Sharing should work, but it doesn’t work that way. WinFax with fax sharing is not a fax server, its capabilities are limited.

I tried to find some sort of reference to the Log-on issue from Symantec’s Web site, but it doesn’t seem to have any information stating you have to be logged on to use Fax Sharing.

I did find the following in the WinFax PRO on-line help…

Run-time requirements

To use the Message Sharing feature the following conditions must be met on both the Message Sharing Host station and Message Sharing Client station:

-Windows must be running and the station must be logged onto (we recommend that you start the Message Sharing Host before you start the Message Sharing Client stations)
    -Controller must be running

-automatic reception must be enabled

Security on Message Sharing Host

The Message Sharing Host station must be running and logged onto at all times. To maximize security, you can lock the Message Sharing Host workstation if you are running under Windows NT. You can do this by holding down the CTRL + ALT + DELETE keys and clicking the Lock Workstation button. To unlock the machine, simply re-enter your Windows password when prompted.

Edited By Moderator on 1121905951

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.