Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi,
    I come here for the last sense of hope.I am seeking a warm hand to save me out of the whole night’s useless work on Winfax 10.02.

I just purchased Windows XP integrated with SP2 home edition and installed a new machine by using that and also I installed Winfax as
    a sharing client.

I have another machine running windows 2000 professional as Winfax Host.

These two machines are on the same network segment.
    They can ping each other either by IP or by computer Netbios name.

Also,when I configured Sharing client,the new windows XP machine can find Winfax host either by Host name or Host IP address.

It gave me a hint to let me stop and start Winfax controller.

But it turned out to be a joke.

I tried a lot of times to restart Winfax controller,including re-installing Winfax host and client a few times,rebooting both computers a few times,whenever I boot up windows XP,it seems
    it is very eager to find that host,but finally,it said something like:unable to connect to host.

Sometimes with: insufficient memory either on client or host.

But that is impossible,because I got 1 GB memory for both computers,they have a lot of space too.

Sometimes with: the user name /password must be the same on the host to log on.Or something like Make sure about System account.

Gosh! I did creat users with the same name and password on both client and host sides.

I tried to work it out,I tried to uninstall SP2,but that is the integrated one,no use at all.

Gosh,please give me a hand,I don’t want to spend another sleepless,useless night like this!

Please help me out of this.

Great thanks.

John

Anonymous

Reconfiguring Windows XP SP2 security settings

Section 1: logon at the client computer (Windows XP SP2).
    From the Start menu, click Settings > Control Panel.
    If using the Classic View, double-click Windows Firewall. Otherwise, click Security Center and then, in the “Manage security settings for:” section, click Windows Firewall.
    Select On (recommended).

Section 2: To add the WinFax Controller program to the Windows Firewall Exceptions list.

On the Exceptions tab, click Add Program.
    Select Controller. The “Path:” box displays a path that ends in Wfxctl32.exe.
    If the host and client are on the same network (subnet), click Change scope and select My network (subnet) only.
    Click OK, and then click OK again.
    In the Programs and Services list, ensure that the box next to Controller is selected.
    Click OK, and close the Windows Control Panel.

Section 3: To enable Remote Administration traffic through the Firewall by enabling RPC and DCOM

From the Start menu, select All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.
    Type netsh
    Type firewall
    If the host and client are on the same subnet, type:
    set service REMOTEADMIN ENABLE SUBNET

otherwise, type:
    set service REMOTEADMIN ENABLE ALL

Type show service and verify that Remote Administration is enabled.
    Type exit and then type exit again.

Section 4: To enable machine wide, remote access to COM for Anonymous Logon users

If using the Classic View, double-click Administrative Tools. Otherwise, click Performance and Maintenance, and then double-click Administrative Tools.
    Double-click Component Services.
    From the Console Root, open Component Services > Computers > My Computer.
    If you see a Security Alert dialog box, click Unblock.
    Right-click My Computer, and click Properties.
    In the My Computer Properties dialog box, on the COM Security tab, in the Access Permissions group, click Edit Limits.
    In the Access Permission dialog box, choose ANONYMOUS LOGON, and select Allow on the Remote Access entry.
    Close the Component Services window and the Administrative Tools window.
    If you are performing these steps at the host computer, continue with section 5. Otherwise, go to section 7.

Section 5: To enable Anonymous Logon users to have machine wide, remote activation access to COM

If using the Classic View, double-click Administrative Tools. Otherwise, click Performance and Maintenance and then double-click Administrative Tools.
    From the Console Root, open Component Services > Computers > My Computer.
    Right-click My Computer, and click Properties. This step opens the My Computer Properties dialog box.
    Click the COM Security tab.
    In the Launch and Activation Permissions group, select Edit Limits.
    In the Launch Permission dialog box, click Add, type ANONYMOUS LOGON and click OK.
    Select ANONYMOUS LOGON, and select Allow on the “Remote Activation” entry. All other boxes should be deselected.
    Restart the computer.

Section 6: To enable Anonymous Logon users to have remote activation access to the WinFax.Attachment DCOM component

If using the Classic View, double-click Administrative Tools. Otherwise, click Performance and Maintenance, and then double-click Administrative Tools.
    From the Console Root, open Component Services > Computers > My Computer > DCOM Config.
    From the menu, click View > Detail.
    From the DCOM Config list, right-click WinFax.Attachment, and click Properties.
    On the Security tab, in the Launch and Activation Permissions group, select Customize, and click Edit.
    Click Add, type ANONYMOUS LOGON and click OK.
    Choose ANONYMOUS LOGON, and select Allow on the Remote Activation entry. All other boxes should be deselected.

Section 7: Apply the changes
    Restart the computer.

If you are performing these steps at the host Windows XP SP2 computer, repeat sections 1-4 at the client Windows XP SP2 computer. Otherwise, stop here. You have completed all the steps. Fax Sharing should now work between the client and host.

Anonymous

Hi,
    I found this too and did according to what they said.But it does not work at all.
    Also,my winfax host is Windows 2000 professional.

Many steps you can not find at all on Windows 2000 professioanl.
    Also,the third step: netsh–>firewall,and set service sth..they don’t work at all.

Please give me another solution for this.

Thanks a lot.

John

Anonymous

@John112233 wrote:

Hi,
    I found this too and did according to what they said.But it does not work at all.
    Also,my winfax host is Windows 2000 professional.

Many steps you can not find at all on Windows 2000 professioanl.
    Also,the third step: netsh–>firewall,and set service sth..they don’t work at all.

Please give me another solution for this.

Thanks a lot.

John

Windows 2000 doesn’t have the firewall, and those steps should only be done on Windows XP systems with SP2 installed (SP2 installs the firewall in Windows XP)

What is the IP of the Host system (Windows 2000)?
    and the Client? (Windows XP SP2)

did you configure WinFax client to connect via an IP address (like 192.168.0.5) or computer name like DELL2GHZ ?

How many machines are on your network? are you connected to a router/gateway? do you using wireless networking?

Does Windows file and printer sharing work with the Windows XP and Windows 2000 machines? can you transfer files back and forth between PCs? and/or print remotely from one computer to another (providing you have a printer installed on one of the machines)?

are both versions of WinFax the same version (10.02?) when you click Help, About.. in WinFax?

Anonymous

Hi,
    Thank you again for your help.
    All questions are with one answer only: Yes,all work very well except Winfax.

The host is : windows 2000 prof
    The client: windows xp home with integrated SP2

For the client,before,I installed Windows XP professional,
    worked well with winfax host on win 2000 prof.
    Now after I changed to install home XP,it does not work at all.

But all other stuff between these two computers are workin
    well,they are connected by wires.

No clue now.

Thanks again.

Good night !

John

Anonymous

@John112233 wrote:

Hi,
    Thank you again for your help.
    All questions are with one answer only: Yes,all work very well except Winfax.

The host is : windows 2000 prof
    The client: windows xp home with integrated SP2

For the client,before,I installed Windows XP professional,
    worked well with winfax host on win 2000 prof.
    Now after I changed to install home XP,it does not work at all.

But all other stuff between these two computers are workin
    well,they are connected by wires.

No clue now.

Thanks again.

Good night !

John

so i’m assuming you are using a gateway/router, have more than 2 machines connected, and are not using wireless. I don’t know what IPs your using.

Run “WTNSETUP.EXE” from the WinFax directory on the Host to reconfigure the Host settings. Make sure the Controller is active and autoreceive is turned on.

Once you’ve done that, do the same on the client machine and make sure the client pings the host properly.
    Make sure the Firewall on the Windows XP SP2 client is disabled for this test before starting the Controller.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.