Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jgerald2

Does anyone know if it possible for me to connect to a fax sharing host over an internet connection and through a fire wall/router/gateway. I am using winfax pro 10.02 on windows 2000 and win NT 4.0. I would like to be able to connect to my computer at work from a remote location and then have the ability to send and receive faxes to and from my laptop at my home or other location. any help would be appreciated.

Anonymous

No this won’t work, it would have been a great idea but ….

Anonymous

Hello all!!!!! ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€
    I’am new here and have a little something I discovered while getting ready to use a cheap CD to copy Winfax to and use for a FRISBEE ๐Ÿ˜€ After going through all the HOOPS and LOOPS and digging tunnels and searching for workarounds and what ever else. I tried one thing that seems like no one tried before.

1. Here are my system software specs.
    Host 2000 Pro (SP4)
    Client XP PRO (SP2)

2. WinFax 10.02 (No Updates Client or Host)

This is the only thing I did. Section 3 from Symantecs Winfax support site. This was done ONLY on the XP side.

Section 3: To enable Remote Administration traffic through the Firewall by enabling RPC and DCOM

1. From the Start menu, select All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.
    2. Type netsh
    3. Type firewall
    4. If the host and client are on the same subnet, type:
    set service REMOTEADMIN ENABLE SUBNET

otherwise, type:
    set service REMOTEADMIN ENABLE ALL
    5. Type show service and verify that Remote Administration is enabled.
    6. Type exit and then type exit again.

Went into the settings to see if the firewall had been activated, per windows it was still disabled. OK, What other treacherous things happened by doing that? NOTHING, I checked the DCom settings compared what they should be from Symantec to what was showing in Component Services and all was the same as before nothing changed. I run a very slimmed down XP using Nlite for all of my installs and have most non-critical things turned off. I did not even create a seperate account as recommended by Symantec. As far as the XP firewall that is a POS wasted coding, and I don’t even code. I come from the hardware side.

Now one disclaimer, If this does not work for you DON’T BLAME ME!! ๐Ÿ˜€ If it does work GREAT!! I would also like to post here that the more Symantec sleeps with MS the more frustrated the end users will get. I see this at work ALL the time. :angry:

I gave up using Symantec because it will not update while a NON-Administrative account is being used. I told them that does not make sense as that is when the computer is at RISK. They told me sorry nothing we can do about it. The best days are over. THERE IS NO MORE “PETER NORTON”!!

Thanks for letting me vent while giving a resolution to a problem.

L8Ter
    jd
    AKA 03GrandeAmGT

Anonymous

Thanks for the info. also Peter Norton was never involved with WinFax PRO( Symantec bought this from a Canadian company called Delrina back in 1995)
    ๐Ÿ™‚

Anonymous

@Moderator wrote:

Thanks for the info. also Peter Norton was never involved with WinFax PRO( Symantec bought this from a Canadian company called Delrina back in 1995)
    ๐Ÿ™‚

Ya I know about Delrina. Used their products I believe in late 80’s something, I personally never had problems with them. ๐Ÿ™‚ I was just primarily referring to SYMANTEC :angry: who should actually change the name to pathetic. Seems like everything they have done was to screw up some product by a company that Symantec bought out. I really believe that if Peter Norton was still “CHIEF” of what went out the door. We would not have this problem with winfax, or any other program that has been carried over to the Symantec line of products. Just my thoughts. ๐Ÿ˜€

John

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.