Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    desrod

Hi,

I recently upgraded to winfax pro 10.04. Both the host & all client PC’s on the network run XP sp2. After upgrading, some of my clients cannot connect to the host, the give me the following error message:

setup cannot connect to WInfax Pro on faxserver1 (Reason: Access is Denied). Check that this is the correct host name.

ALl the PC’s can browse & ping the faxserver without a problem, but 2 of the clients are giving me this problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Des

JohnD
    Participant

Did it work pre-10.04 patch?

is it only 2 specific machines that fail to connect to the host? Do you have a fixed-IP on the host? try using a fixed-IP on the host (like 192.168.0.2) and connect to the Host.

Do these two clients have other software (firewall etc.) that could be causing problems?

BackSpacer

i am having the same problem. i had 10.02 and could not manually configure so i bought 10.03 and followed the instructions to a “T” and updated to 10.04 and i no longer have the rpc problem, but my client computer still can’t connect to the host. i have turned off all firewalls and everything that i can think of that may be blocking it. any advise?

jerzybondon

Did you try to add user account (with which you are logged on the client computer) on the host computer ? Make sure added account has Administrator rights (on the host computer.)

BackSpacer

i added the accounts as stated in symantec’s instructions, but they said that you did not have to log in as the new account, so i didn’t. all settings are different because its a new login account in xp. I hope i don’t have to log in as that and re-configure everything.

jerzybondon

Question for the forum:
    Do you have to be logged on on the host computer for the client computer to be able to fax out through it?

Anonymous

@jerzybondon wrote:

Question for the forum:
    Do you have to be logged on on the host computer for the client computer to be able to fax out through it?

When using SDK functions, you have to be logged in and the “wfxctl32.exe” program be running for any of the SDK functions to work . I would assume this is the same for Fax Sharing. When you are not logged in , only the “WinFax Service” is running (which does allow you to send and receive faxes)

Here is a statement regarding this from one of Symantec’s Knowledge Base documents:

“The WinFax service does not have sufficient access rights to run Fax Sharing or Message Sharing. To use a Windows NT/2000 Fax Sharing or Message Sharing host, you must be logged on to the local computer so that WinFax has sufficient access rights.”

jerzybondon

Moderator, thank you. And I understand “yes”.

jerzybondon

BackSpacer

I believe Symantec recommends adding users accounts through REGACCES.EXE on host machine.
    Did you try to add users accounts on the host machine through Windows Control Panel?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.