Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I’ve the question alot in here but no answer.
    I have installed 10.3 and upgraded to 10.4 all machines are xp sp2. Even the host. I have 5 total machines. One is the host the other 4 clients. 3 of the clients work perfectly after the upgrade. 1 comes back with the error host not found. We are on a domain and I know everyone can ping everyone by both IP and machine name. I’ve tried to uninstall and reinstall I tried the manual way to open everything up. I tried everything is here already suggested. I have no third party firewalls just xp firewall. No matter what I try I can not get that one to connect. Does anyone have any new info on this issue?
    I think my eyes are about to pop out from reading so much :O :p
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JohnD
    Participant

1. make sure “Controller” filename is “wfxctl32.exe” is in the firewall exception list.
    2. If you have Norton Anti-Virus 2005, turn off “Internet Worm Protection”
    3. Make sure the machine is actually using version 10.04 (see Help, About in WinFax PRO )
    4. Run “Wfxping.exe” from the WinFax directory, make sure you can ping the host via IP and Machine Name.

Anonymous

1. Done
    2. Don’t use. We use Symantec Antivirus Corporate Ver. 8
    3. yes version 10.04
    4 Yes ping with 0ms

Thank you for your response.
    But it still doesn’t work.

JohnD
    Participant

@3yankies wrote:

1. Done
    2. Don’t use. We use Symantec Antivirus Corporate Ver. 8
    3. yes version 10.04
    4 Yes ping with 0ms

Thank you for your response.
    But it still doesn’t work.

what is the exact error message that appears when it tries to connect to the host machine?

Anonymous

WinFax Pro is unable to connect to the Winfax Pro Host station called %machine name% You cannot send or receive faxes until you are connected to the Winfax Pro Host.

Problem: The RPC server is unavailable. Possible cause: no computer with this name has been found on your network.

Thanks again.

JohnD
    Participant

@3yankies wrote:

WinFax Pro is unable to connect to the Winfax Pro Host station called %machine name% You cannot send or receive faxes until you are connected to the Winfax Pro Host.

Problem: The RPC server is unavailable. Possible cause: no computer with this name has been found on your network.

Thanks again.

check to see if RPC service is set to start automatically on that Windows XP machine that is giving you problems.

1. Set the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service to start automatically

a. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Administrative Tools, Component Services.
    b. On the Service list, click Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service, and then click Startup.
    c. Under Startup Type, click Automatic, and then click OK.

2. Restart your computer.

JohnD
    Participant

Also check

DCOM Server Process Launcher, and set that to “Automatic”

You can also easily get into the Services window by clicking on START, RUN, and typing SERVICES.MSC

Anonymous

Thanks I’ll try that now and let you know.

Anonymous

Ok I just tried that and both services were already started and set to automatic. I do recall looking at that service yesterday and it was started then also.

Should I try another reinstall?

JohnD
    Participant

@3yankies wrote:

Ok I just tried that and both services were already started and set to automatic. I do recall looking at that service yesterday and it was started then also.

Should I try another reinstall?

Yes, try running WTNSETUP.EXE (from the WinFax directory) and reconfigure WinFax PRO. If that does not help, try reinstalling.

Also maybe shut down any other apps that may be starting on bootup.

Anonymous

Ok i tried that also. The only thing starting up are linksys wireless card manager, but the card is not installed when in house, quicktime and realplayer garbage. I still get the same error message.
    I tried another uninstall and it asked me it I wanted to close the ports open by the version 10.04 update. I told it yes. It also asked me if I wanted to remove some shared files in the system32 folder that were no longer in use. I told it yes to that also. Then rebooted and reinstalled with no luck still.
    Maybe I need to call Symantec. Unless you have something else for me to try.

And again thank you for your help.

JohnD
    Participant

have you tried connecting to the Host when no other existing clients are connected to it? Try to see if it is a possible conflict with any other machine.

Another test is to temporarily make the problem WinXP machine a Host, and try to connect to it using one of the working client machines. See if a connection can be made the other way…

Anonymous

Ok I can’t ping the non-working client machine for some reason so that must be my problem.
    Thanks for you help. Now I just have to figure out why I can’t ping him.

JohnD
    Participant

@3yankies wrote:

Ok I can’t ping the non-working client machine for some reason so that must be my problem.
    Thanks for you help. Now I just have to figure out why I can’t ping him.

Yes , that will cause the Client/Host connectivity to fail . Once you correct that, it should work. Everything else seems OK.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.