Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    mtpaper

We have many faxes received via WinFax 10.02, on our XP Pro.

We would like to transfer them to PDF.
    To do so, we will use either WinfaxMerger 2.2 (to convert to TIF and then figure out some other way to convert to PDF) or applications from SFaxtools.

We know that the new file date can be recorded as the date of the original fax transmission. That’s great.

We know that we can merge multiple pages into a single document

Here’s what we don’t know or if it’s possible or how to do:

1. How can we indicate in the new file name (or the file’s metadata), whether it’s a Send or Receive? Or have this info stored in the destination file’s metadata?

2. We know we can export WinFax’s general info (ie, CSID/Name, and subject) from WinFax to a dbf file which can be read via Excel, but it will not include the filenames of the original files. Is there a way to transfer WinFax’s general info to the metadata of the destination pdf files??? In other words, I diligiently recorded subject info into WinFax, to facilitate finding faxes. How can I export that information when I convert the files?

Thank you for your assistance –
    Marion in Rochester

Administrator
    Keymaster

You will have to check with the developers of the software you are using if it indicates whether the exported file is a send or receive file. ( the developer of sFaxtools or Meta WinFax Exporter should be able to answer this) check with http://www.meta.com.au/index.p….&gid=34

Here are the headings that are exported from the WinFax Logs.

Exported headings

TOFROM	NAME	COMPANY	PHONENUMBE	SUBJECT	TYPE	PRIORITY	ATTACHMENT	PAGES	PAGESSR	RETRIES	RESOLUTION	STATUS	REMOTECSID	DURATION	SPEED	ERRORCODE	ECM	TIME	DATE	BILLING	KEYWORDS	MSGLENGTH	STATUSMESS	OFFPEAK	DEVICEUSED	DEVICECHOS	FAXEXTENSI

unfortunately, original winfax filename information is not exported at all. This can be accomplished via the Log SDK but would require custom programming to accomplish.

Edited By Moderator on 1221144717

mtpaper

FYI _

I found out that I can use ExifTool to issue a command that will go thru a text file, lift the Title, Author, Subject etc, and write the info to the pdf’s metadata. So that’s great.

Administrator
    Keymaster

good to hear, was not aware of the exiftool

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.