Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    ringadeal

can i use one computer to handle the task of broadcast faxing using 2 phone lines? If yes, how is this done, can it be done with winfax?

JohnD
    Participant

WinFax will support 2 fax modems and can fax both at the same time.
    You can install 2 modems in the computer, but you have to ensure both are not software based modems.
    http://www.getfaxing.com/winfax/2009/06/25/first-time-guide-to-winfax-pro/
    has info about fax modems & using 2 modems

ringadeal

let me confirm that i can use the current internal modem that came with my dell computer along with a US Robotics 56K External Modem FAX V.92 USR5686E (that i see for sale on ebay) concurrently with winfax.

how is winfax to know that i want to use both modems at the same time? if i remember correctly, you are supposed to select one modem for use with winfax.

ringadeal

one additional question,

from my understanding, with the use of 2 phone lines/modems and winfax, winfax can dial using line 2 to send a fax to one recipient even though a fax is in middle of transmitting using line 1. Technically, I can send twice the amount of faxes in the same amount of time? Please confirm.

thanks (what would the world do without your winfax support)!

JohnD
    Participant

Yes, you can install an external US Robotics and internal Fax Modem in the same computer.

In WinFax, you setup the 2nd modem under Program Setup, Modem & Communication Devices. Set it as active, so you have two modems selected (with a checkmark)

When you send a fax, you have the option to select a modem to use, the default is “First Available” , or you can select a specific modem. When “First Available” is used, If modem #1 is busy, WinFax uses Modem #2 automatically. Each modem has to be connected to its own phone line for this to work.

This also works with receiving and sending, if modem #1 is receiving, Modem #2 can be used for sending. You can also configure a modem for sending only, and the other modem for receiving only.

Yes, having two modems can save you lots of time and less busy signals for customers that send you faxes.

ringadeal

okay. the us robotics modem has arrived (at a remote location) and the person connecting it has advised that there is only one port on the computer to attach it to. This port, however, is currently occupied by the monitor. Is there some kind of adaptor that I can either reroute the monitor into or the fax modem into? If yes, please state how this device would be called.

JohnD
    Participant

The port for the monitor is not the same port for the modem, do not confuse the two ports. You cannot plug in a modem into a VGA monitor port. The connectors are the same size, but If you look closely, the VGA monitor port has 15 pins, while the modem (Serial) port has 9. Do not attempt to plug in your modem into the VGA port.

if you are using an external modem, it is a serial 9 pin port you require. These are found in 9 pin male on the computer side. Newer machines usually don’t come with serial ports anymore.

If your computer does not have a serial port, you need to buy a serial port card. The type of card you need depends on the type of free slot you have on the computer. They are available in PCI and PCIe type cards.

ringadeal

thanks for your detailed response!

JohnD
    Participant

You’re welcome.

Here is an example of serial port cards,
    the first two cards in this list, a 1 port card, and a 2 port card.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10406

ringadeal

A technician has installed the necessary hardware and the modem has been successfully detected by the computer. The initial attempt to send faxed through 2 lines has been successful and the status dialogue displayed both modems in action. However, the external US Robotics modem no longer operates. Faxes are only being sent from the Conexant Modem. This occurs even after a fresh computer boot.

In the program setup dialogue box, under the “Modems and Communication Devices”, US Robotics is no longer listed. I clicked on “Add” and US Robotics is listed with the words “Not Present”. What does this mean and how do I resolve this issue?

By the way, is FaxTalk FaxCenter Pro 7.5 software created by your company? Is it comparable to winfax plus more and less buggy?

JohnD
    Participant

@ringadeal wrote:

In the program setup dialogue box, under the “Modems and Communication Devices”, US Robotics is no longer listed. I clicked on “Add” and US Robotics is listed with the words “Not Present”. What does this mean and how do I resolve this issue?

“Not present” indicates that Windows XP does not detect the modem. If this happens, WinFax PRO cannot use the modem. This is why it is no longer listed in WinFax “Modems & Communications Devices”

Check your power & cable connections to ensure everything is properly connected.

JohnD
    Participant

@ringadeal wrote:

By the way, is FaxTalk FaxCenter Pro 7.5 software created by your company? Is it comparable to winfax plus more and less buggy?

No , this software is by Thought Communications. We are authorized resellers.
    It is comparable to WinFax, and has similar features. It does not support 2 modems on a standard installation, it will only support 1 fax modem.

ringadeal

it appears that all is properly connected with the us robotics modem.

Is there another way to determine the computer’s recognition of the us robotics modem other than via winfax?

and regarding the fax talk software, is there any major winfax feature you feel that this faxtalk software does no provide. I remember reading how getfaxing has tested several fax programs to find that none comes close to winfax, has this changed with faxtalk?

thanks!

Administrator
    Keymaster

@ringadeal wrote:

it appears that all is properly connected with the us robotics modem.
    Is there another way to determine the computer’s recognition of the us robotics modem other than via winfax?

Yes, you can test the modem with a program that is included with Windows XP called HyperTerminal. However, if Windows XP reports “Not present” for the U.S. Robotics, this indicates that the modem isn’t detected by Windows XP. HyperTerminal won’t allow you select the modem, because, it doesn’t exist. If there is a configuration problem in Windows XP you won’t be able to access the modem in any application, and that includes WinFax or FaxTalk.

Here is a link to testing using HyperTerminal:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/faxprod.nsf/docid/2001040612202004

I suggest you contact the techncian that installed the modem to confirm that it is installed properly. Its likely there is a hardware problem, or incorrect configuration.

FaxTalk FaxCenter Pro 7.5 is the only fax application that we tested that comes close to the user interface design that WinFax has. FaxTalk is limited in some ways as it doesn’t have drag and drop features, limited fax preview screens, no OCR, and doesn’t have the extensive phonebook capabilities, fields and third-party links WinFax does. The standard version of FaxTalk supports a single modem, and the fax sharing/networking capabilities are limited. It really depends how you use WinFax to determine if FaxTalk is a good alternative for you.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.