Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    ptrue

Hello,
    Question. Can I set up WinFax PRO so that I can have my telephone answering machine pick up messages on the same phone line as my DSL and still receive faxes or do I need a new modem that can differentiate calls from faxes.

ptrue

When should I stop waiting for a reply.

Thank you

Anonymous

@ptrue wrote:

Hello,
    Question. Can I set up WinFax PRO so that I can have my telephone answering machine pick up messages on the same phone line as my DSL and still receive faxes or do I need a new modem that can differentiate calls from faxes.

No, WinFax PRO will only answer (all calls) as a fax. Hardware devices like a “Comshare” might work to discriminate the call first before “handing it off” to WinFax to answer.

ptrue

Thank you for responding. So then, aren’t thousand of WinFax users in the same position I am with one phone line and an answering machine? Why isn’t this just a standard situation?

Anonymous

@ptrue wrote:

Thank you for responding. So then, aren’t thousand of WinFax users in the same position I am with one phone line and an answering machine? Why isn’t this just a standard situation?

Yes, that’s why Symantec created TalkWorks PRO 3.0. It makes your PC an answering machine and will also receive faxes — plus it does a lot more, such as emailing your faxes or calling your cell or pager to tell you that a voice mail has been received. It does pretty much everything WinFax PRO does, plus voice mail capability.

Unfortunately, TalkWorks PRO was discontinued by Symantec back in November of 2000 and is no longer distributed.

pueblocms

I have used WinFax Pro for many years and have Winfax Pro 10. I installed and then uninstalled IE7 and now I can’t get the program to stay on automatic receive (I have a destictive ring line for the fax on my regular phone line (two differnet numbers for each). When I reboot my computer I have to go into the WinFax program and click on automatic and then close the program so that the fax does not pick up on my regular phone line and the fax line. Is there anything I can do to make it function correctly as it did before? 🙁

JohnD
    Participant

@pueblocms wrote:

I have used WinFax Pro for many years and have Winfax Pro 10. I installed and then uninstalled IE7 and now I can’t get the program to stay on automatic receive (I have a destictive ring line for the fax on my regular phone line (two differnet numbers for each). When I reboot my computer I have to go into the WinFax program and click on automatic and then close the program so that the fax does not pick up on my regular phone line and the fax line. Is there anything I can do to make it function correctly as it did before? 🙁

Did you try the solution posted Here
    ?

pueblocms

Yes, that straitened out being able to add phone numbers to the phonebooks. But, still when I reboot I have to manually click on automatic receive and exit program or the fax will pick up on any ring sequence.

JohnD
    Participant

When you start WinFax PRO (or if it starts with Windows), the controller indicates it is NOT in auto-receive mode? you have to turn it on, then exit, then start it again (and this time auto-receive is turned on) and the fax is then properly answered?

Did you go into Receive Setup and confirm all your receive options (click Apply, OK).

This will recreate any settings in WinFax. Once you do that, exit the Controller/WinFax and restart.

If that does not help, try double-clicking WTNSETUP.EXE and this will allow you to reconfigure WinFax again.

other steps you can try if problems continue:

Disable the WinFax Service (for Windows XP/2000/NT only)

The WinFax Service answers calls when Windows is logged off. Most don’t need this feature, and enabling this just adds more overhead to your system *by default it is enabled*. If you are using Windows NT/2000/XP, you should turn off the WinFax Service. This can be done in the Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services. Locate the “TalkWorks PRO” or “WinFax PRO” service, double-click and change the startup setting from “Automatic” setting to “Manual”. Also click on STOP to stop the service. Reboot the computer and then go back to the Services in the Control Panel and verify that the WinFax or TalkWorks service is set to “Manual” and is NOT started.
    Note: You can turn this back to Automatic after you’ve resolved any problems with WinFax if you want to receive or send faxes while the computer is logged off in Windows XP/2000/NT.

Now, close all active applications, including the WinFax Controller and WinFax Message Manager.

Delete temporary files in Windows (applies to all versions of Windows)

To delete temporary files:

a. Close all applications, including WinFax PRO Message Manager if you haven’t done this already.
    b. Click Start, and then click Run.
    c. Type %temp% and then click OK. The Temp folder should appear in the list.
    d. Click the Edit menu, and then click Select All.
    e. Click the File menu, and then click Delete. (You may get an error that some files are in use, this is normal)
    f. Close the Temp window.
    g. Restart the computer if necessary.

Run the Rebuild.bat utility to repair all WinFax/TalkWorks logs and phonebooks:

For WinFax PRO 9.x, TalkWorks PRO 2.x and TalkWorks PRO 3.x,
    read the document How to rebuild or repair Logs and Phonebooks.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT….3314904

For WinFax PRO 10, read the document How to rebuild or repair Logs and Phonebooks in WinFax PRO 10.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT….4390704

Edited By JohnD on 1169738441

pueblocms

thank you for your help. I have already gone into the receive setup and confirmed everything was set correctly – that does not seem to be the problem. As this is a business computer, I do not want to disable the winfax service as we receive fax day and night.

The program was working fine until I downloaded IE7 and that really messed up many things so I uninstalled that and went back to IE6. I fixed the problem with winfax and adding new numbers to phonebooks but can’t get this problem figured out.

It is very simple to just go thru the routine of going into the program and clickingon automatic receive and then exiting the program (which makes the fax work correctly) but it is a real pain.

I am not very computer literate so don’t want to go into the WTNSETUP.EXE and I wouldn’t know what I was doing.

Guess I better get it to a service person that does. Any other suggestions would be helpful

Anonymous

Where do you enable automatic receive, within WinFax by clicking on Setup dialog, Receive, or by right-clicking the Controller icon and turning on the “Automatic Receive” option? Do you then exit the controller, or shut down the Message Manager (WinFax PRO application) ? once you exit and restart WinFax PRO, do you start the Controller manually, or Message Manager? or do you reboot the computer and allow WinFax PRO controller to start automatically? At this point, does the controller show automatic receive turned on, or off?

by running WTNSETUP.EXE, it is like setting up WinFax again for the first time. It configures all the registry key settings that it requires, such as receive setup, modem setup, etc. If for any reason, a registry key is missing or is corrupt, re-running WTNSETUP.EXE can usually fix it. It won’t fix any problems related to a missing file, since it does not reinstall any specific files (a reinstall is required for that).

It is recommended that if you don’t feel comfortable doing it yourself, you should bring it to the attention of a service person that can take a look at it for you. I generally recommend running a WTNSETUP as a 2nd to last ditch effort to resolve a problem, prior to a complete uninstall/reinstall.

pueblocms

Thank you for your quick reply – I will print all your advise and have an expert come in and see what he can do for me. If I need further help, I will contact you.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.