Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    vtrasikis

I am trying to setup winfax pro 10.02 on a new computer and everytime that I try to setup sharing, it gives me an error of:

Setup cannot connect to the WinFax Pro on Home (Reason: The RPC server is unavailable). Check that this is the correct host name.

When I do select the host, it does come back and state that host found, but then it tries to connect and gets that error. I have 1 notebook that is setup the same way and it has NO problems connected and faxing.

I did follow the help file from symantec and after checking the settings between the notebook and the new desktop, I don’t know what else it could be…

Any suggestions????

Administrator
    Keymaster

You didn’t mention the version of WinFax on the client (and Host) and the operating system and service pack level on the client?

If you have no problems connecting to the Host from another PC, then the problem is with the client, not the Host.

On the client, make sure you’ve added wfxctl32.exe in your exception rules if using any firewall. I’d disable firewall as a start to see if that is the problem. Some anti-virus software also have features that can block communications, so check that as well.

vtrasikis

both have version 10.02 installed. running win-xp with sp3 on both. I did update windows firewall to have the controller in the exception list, as is on the host. I tried the disable on the client and still it doesn’t work. Funny how when you set it up, it finds the host but when it tries to talk to it, it doesn’t work. I have basically set up the new computer the same way that the notebook is. Why is it getting the rpc error???

JohnD
    Participant

the initial “connection” is just a test via PING to the IP address of your host, like PING myhost.com or PING 192.168.1.10. The real connection is where information is transmitted between the two computers is using DCOM.

Section 4 of the Symantec document is what I believe you need to do on the client PC.

If that doesn’t work for you then I’d suggest contacting the Live Support, they can troubleshoot for $39.99 for 1 PC if your Host is already setup properly.

vtrasikis

I have already done that… just trying to avoid having to pay symantec for anything!

JohnD
    Participant

Symantec doesn’t provide any support (free or fee based) for WinFax PRO anymore. I was suggesting getfaxing.com live service.

it may be dcom related problem. Check your event viewer logs for dcom errors on the client.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.