Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hello folks, I really need some help! WinFax Pro 10.03 freezes sometimes (too often) while receiving an incoming fax. I have tried just about everything! I have two desktops with the same problem, both running newly installed WinXP without SP2 (full version not upgraded). I had this problem for a year, I was using Winfax Pro 10.02 with this problem on both machines, upgrade to 10.03 yesterday. Still no good, in fact no darn difference! A waste of money! I tried installing a new (expensive) US Robotics PCI modem in one machine and a new Agere PCI modem in the other machine. I tried both my regular voice phone line and fax line. Both machines, I formatted the hard drives, re-installed WinXP. One machine I only installed ZoneAlarm Pro, Norton Anti-Virus, WinFax and Outlook Express for fax forwarding by email, I dedicated the machine just to faxing. I set one machine to pick up after two rings, the other after three rings and my regular fax machine to pick up after four rings, just to make sure I get the faxes one way or the other! I sat at my desk this morning and watch the first machine lock up, waited for the redial to come in and then watched the second one lock up! UGH!!! Finally on the third redial, the regular fax machine got it. I need to have the faxes emailed out so they come to me on my laptop while on the road, I also love the text message notification to my cell phone a new fax has come in. If I could find another software that would automatically forward by email I would forget the WinFax! I stopped at the computer store today and picked up a Creative External Modem, I’m going to pull the PCI modem from the dedicated machine and try the external tonight. I just don’t know what else to do! HELP!!!! Sorry for the long post, but I’m at my wits end! Thanks in advance, Guy

Anonymous

You should have more success with the external modem, I hope you purchased the serial version and not the USB version. The USB version may NOT work at all with WinFax.

Anonymous

Thank you for the reply. Yes it is a serial modem, I set it up last night, faxed myself a few test samples from my laptop to make sure it was working right. Now it’s just wait and see, hopefully I’ll get a lot of faxes/work today. I’ll let you know how I make out. Thanks Again, Guy (keeping my fingers and toes crossed!)

Anonymous

Just an update, so far, (knock on wood) the serial fax seems to have done the trick. I have recieved about thirty faxes since I have been using the external serial modem and so far it has been without a hitch, now that I said that……..

I let you know how things go after another week or two. Guy

Anonymous

It’s best to avoid any type of fax modem that is software driven, most of the cheap modems available now are like this. They require CPU processing time to use the modem. Generally, it slows the performance of your PC and it isn’t as reliable. External modems are the best to use with WinFax. Even old external 28.8kbps and 14.4kbps modems work fine for faxing using WinFax. The Supra Modem line is reliable and so are the Hayes fax modems (these manufacturers no longer make modems)

Glad to hear the modem is functioning well with WinFax

Anonymous

Boy I wish I had found you folks a year ago! Thanks for the advice, love the site, lots of good info! Can I ask, do you think I wasted money by buying the 10.03? I don’t see any difference between that and the 10.02 I was using. Not that it really matters, I’m just so happy to have it working reliably. I’m an auto damage appraiser, a one man show. I have it set up to forward the faxes by email and send me a text message on the cell. On a slow day, I can just take the cell phone and go do my thing, if I get a text message a fax came in, I just go to the car and pull it up on my laptop through wireless email. It’s great when it works! Thanks Again, Guy

Anonymous

there are no differences in functionality between 10.02 and 10.03 except for some fixes related to Windows XP/SDK and Outlook XP/2003 problems.

You should have received a free upgrade to 10.03 if you encountered a problem that was specific to 10.02 (except I believe Symantec will charge you for shipping and Handling for the CD ROM )

glad to hear the forums are helpful to you.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.