Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I’ve recently installed WinFax Pro 10.03 on a WinXP SP2 system after having used WinFax for a long time on other platforms (win2k and older).

I experience the following serious problem:

When a call comes in (on a dedicated fax line), the program responds: The receive screen pops up and the modem responds with its high pitch tone.

If at this time the call disconnects, the pop up screen remains on for a number of seconds (20?) and then the screen turns black and the system reboots.

I’ve been through a number of rounds with Symantec support. I have the impression that they don’t really want to help they just point you to numerous knowledhe base articles that do not help much – and IMHO don’t even remotely address the problem.

My modem is “Creative Modem Blaster V.90 PCI DI5655” and the driver is updated.

Can someone suggest a remedy?

Thanks.

Anonymous

sounds like a possible video driver and/or modem configuration problem. What com port / irq is the modem configured as? what type of video card are you using? Have you tried reducing the video resolution to test if the same problem occurs (this will confirm if the problem is related to video drivers)
    Have you tried changing the configuration in WinFax to use direct to COM port instead of TAPI (or vice-versa?)

Have you tried using HyperTerminal to communicate with the modem directly by typing AT commands to it directly? There is a document to show you how to do this if you need to. This would at least confirm that the modem is OK and it is a specific WinFax problem and not a hardware setup problem.

Anonymous

Hi there,

Thanks for your response.

To answer you questions:

1) the modem is on COM3 and is functional. The modem responds to the call and also the diagnostics pass OK. I have not changed the WinFax configuration to NOT use TAPI. I will try this today (if this is not too complicated) and report.
    2) my video card is ati 9600XT. I’ve tried running the system with standatd VGA and the problem persistsed.

Thanks again.

Anonymous

Any results with using COM port?

Anonymous

I think you’re going the wrong with with com ports.
    Do a control ALT delete when its hanging. Does it have a process called WFXCTL32.EXE running a bunch of times? If so its a known but.
    The solution to this is unknown.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.