Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I have a network with a previously working 10.03 version of WinFax pro. All stations were Windows 2000 based, with the server being Windows 2000 Server. All PCs and the server use static IP addresses. Everything was working fine until some PCs had to be replaced and the new PCs came with WinXP SP2 installed. Having read all the documents available on the topic, I installed 10.04 to the server and all machines including the WinXP units. Now none of the PCs can connect to the host. During the Client setup, it finds the host without issue and pings it without issue. As soon as the PC is rebooted, cannot connect to host. I know a connection is available, as this is also a file server and is working without issue. I have been through every document on Symantec’s site and removing SP2 is not an option. All PCs have either no software firewall (Windows 2000) or a fully disabled firewall (XP SP2) so that is also not the problem/issue. I noticed the oleaut32.dll files on the XP machines are newer than that on the Windows 2000 and Server. I tried updating that file temporarily without luck, and in addition, it caused a number of random errors on any 2000 machine where it was replaced. (They have all since be placed back to their previous versions) Any thoughts??

JohnD
    Participant

If you are using 10.04, then your Windows XP clients should be running at the default security settings as outlined in
    “Part 1: Ensuring that the computer is using the default security settings” of the Symantec document
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT….4595304
    and you added the accounts on each computer that uses Fax Sharing (listed in Part 2)

If that does not work for you, did you try using 10.03 on each machine and then simply applying the instructions on this document :
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT….1425704
    to the Windows XP Clients? You need to perform steps 1-4 and step 7 on each Windows XP Client machine.

After you reboot the Host, I suggest running “wtnsetup.exe” on each client machine to configure the Fax Sharing Clients.

Anonymous

I had previously tried 10.03 via the document you linked without success. (Which is why I then went to 10.04) As far as the security settings, they were originally set to default but when that did not work, I disabled the firewall completely, again, without success. I have also created the accounts of all PCs as administrators (not a great security practice) on the server. (Is there any special directory where I could/should enable sharing?) While I did not run the wtnsetup.exe file on all clients, on the 5 that I did, it was not successful so I did not bother with the remaining clients. Also, am I correct to assume that the differences in the versions of the oleaut32.dll file is no longer a significance as it was on previous versions?

JohnD
    Participant

@MistrHappy wrote:

I had previously tried 10.03 via the document you linked without success. (Which is why I then went to 10.04) As far as the security settings, they were originally set to default but when that did not work, I disabled the firewall completely, again, without success. I have also created the accounts of all PCs as administrators (not a great security practice) on the server. (Is there any special directory where I could/should enable sharing?) While I did not run the wtnsetup.exe file on all clients, on the 5 that I did, it was not successful so I did not bother with the remaining clients. Also, am I correct to assume that the differences in the versions of the oleaut32.dll file is no longer a significance as it was on previous versions?

Disabling the Firewall does not solve the problem with 10.03. Did you also perform the steps that allow the Anonymous Logon using DCOM (as outlined in the Windows XP SP2 document) ?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.