How to detect a counterfeit WinFax PRO 10 CD ROM
Don’t get duped into buying a counterfeit WinFax PRO 10 CD ROM. Here is how you can tell the difference from a “real” CD ROM and the obvious fakes. If you purchased your Symantec WinFax PRO with a box and manual, chances are it is the genuine item. If you purchased a “loose” CD ROM, usually referred as “OEM”, then you should check for the following:
- Symantec never included the actual revision of WinFax PRO 10 (10.01,10.02 or 10.03) on the CD ROM. So, if your WinFax PRO CD ROM says “WinFax PRO 10.03” its a fake. All genuine WinFax PRO 10 cd’s contain the heading “WinFax PRO 10.0”
- If you see text with “winFAX” or “Live Update” anywhere on the CD its a fake. The official Symantec trademarks are “WinFax” and “LiveUpdate”, no other variations of this text should appear on the CD ROM.
- Failure to capitalize “symantec” and “corporation”.
- An “All rights resverd” spelling error, or other spelling errors.
- Incorrect font used for WinFax PRO and Symantec logo. The current Symantec logo is consistant across all software they produce.
- Silver portion of CD is a (dull) matte finish, on the real CD it is relective (mirror surface).
- To determine if the CD is brand new and sealed — geniune WinFax PRO 10 CD’s come in a white envelope sleeve that are sealed with a sticker that may have one or more of the following: a bar code, a Symantec 5 or 6 digit product code, a brief license agreement.
- In most cases, manufacturer information is printed on the inner rim of the CD ROM of genuine CD’s. This is usually missing on a counterfeit.
- Update patch 10.04 is not included on genuine CD ROMs. Any CD that contains the patch update to 10.04 is a counterfeit.
Example of a counterfeit CD ROM and genuine WinFax PRO 10 CD ROM. Notice the differences in the mirror surface, the Symantec logo, and different font types. The counterfeit contains “10.03” version, something that is not printed on the genuine CD. You’ll also probably see manufacturer information around the inner rim of the genuine CD ROM. This is likely to be missing on the counterfeit WinFax PRO CD.